2.2.5 on Ubuntu

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon May 5 15:38:51 EDT 2008

On 5/4/08, Tony Nelson <tonyn at openlearning.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me when the latest version of gnucash (2.2.5) will
>  become available from the Ubuntu software repositories?  When I fire up
>  the Synaptic Package Manager I'm still seeing the older 2.2.4.
>
>  Is this something, perhaps, that I should be taking up with the Ubuntu
>  user's group?

I'm not sure what user's group you might talk to (maybe you know some
influential users!) but here is my understanding of where things are
right now...

Gnucash is not an "official" part of Ubuntu, meaning it's not
supported by Canonical, the corporate owner of Ubuntu. (There is a
process for elevating packages to that level -- details appear in the
Ubuntu wiki.*)

So far, Gnucash has been available in Ubuntu via the "universe"
repository, which contains everything in the Debian repositories which
are not "official" ubuntu.

As of this moment, Debian sid still contains 2.2.4 -- see
http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnucash When the Debian maintainer gets
the latest version into Debian, I and others who have subscribed to
the Debian package will get a notice, and if I see it, I (or you or
whomever) can file a bug against Ubuntu asking that Gnucash 2.2.5 get
"backported" into whatever version of Ubuntu. I will probably ask
first that it be backported into 8.04 "Hardy" and also possibly into
7.10 "Gutsy."

*There may be folks reading this who have the technical skills and
might want to help get GnuCash elevated to an official Ubuntu package.
We might start this process by offering to help the sole Debian
maintainer of GnuCash, which might make the port/backport process
faster.