similar sets of accounts

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue May 6 09:48:22 EDT 2008

Jannick Asmus <jannick.news at gmail.com> writes:
>>> 2) Custom reports are shared. I am not sure whether this is desirable
>>> in all situations but seeing as they are shared it would be convenient
>>> in my scenario if a report could be run on both accounts. However,
>>> this does not work, presumably because the internal account ids are
>>> different.
>>>

>> No Idea here, sorry.
>
> Customized reports are stored in /.gnucash/saved-reports-2.0 - together
> with the selected accounts. But I am not sure whether you mean that by
> "custom reports".
>
> I suspect that the internal account ids in a GC file are identical to
> those in the chart of accounts template.

The internal account guids are *not* identical to those in the template
accounts as created from the "New Account Hierarchy" druid.  When a template
(say "Common Accounts") is inserted into the books (an empty new file or an
existing data file) the accounts get a fresh GUID.  I'm not sure

Saved and Custom reports (the same thing, really) are stored outside the
books, but – yes – they can reference datafile-specific data (account guids,
names, currencies, &c.).  When thinking about re-writing the reporting
infrastructure, I was going to push heavily that saved and custom reports be
in the datafile itself (with a separate way to maintain datafile-generic
"new" reports in ~/.gnucash/reports.d/ or something).

(Tangentially, I think things like window state (open tabs, tab names, window
position, &c.) should be in the datafile too, with nothing related to the
datafile split off into some random file(s) in ~/.gnucash/ … the datafile
should really be a single, self-contained file.)

As for the situation you desire, I'm not quite sure the right way to do it.
Maybe some form of report that knows it needs specific accounts by
type, but requests the user to select those accounts at the time it's
run?  Right now the reports usually select default option values
(i.e. accounts) and run, then let you change them.  I guess it depends on the
nature of the report.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}