similar sets of accounts

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue May 6 10:09:40 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, you wrote:
> On 06.05.2008 14:24, Maf. King wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
> >> I maintain several sets of accounts (in different files). The skeleton
> >> of accounts is identical. The placeholder accounts are the same, income
> >> and expense accounts are identical; just the actual bank accounts and
> >> credit cards are different.
> >>
> >> 1) Setting up the same accounts again is a bit tedious. Is there any
> >> means of copying the accounts without the transactions?
> >
> > File -> Export -> Export Accounts.
> >
> >> 2) Custom reports are shared. I am not sure whether this is desirable
> >> in all situations but seeing as they are shared it would be convenient
> >> in my scenario if a report could be run on both accounts. However,
> >> this does not work, presumably because the internal account ids are
> >> different.
> >
> > No Idea here, sorry.
>
> Customized reports are stored in /.gnucash/saved-reports-2.0 - together
> with the selected accounts. But I am not sure whether you mean that by
> "custom reports".

Hi,

Jannick - you shouldn't be saving your data under ~/.gnucash  - that is
something which could lead to your data being lost (although, I'm uncertain
form what you have written that you are!).

Once you have customised and saved a report, the details go in
~/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.0, and the report appears under the menu
Reports -> Custom -> [list]

If you have multiple data files, then a saved report for File A will still
appear in the menu for File B - the reports are per user, not per data-file.

> I suspect that the internal account ids in a GC file are identical to
> those in the chart of accounts template.

Assuming that you haven't added accounts to the default chart.  AFAIK, once
you have "forked" the chart, that can't be assumed true.

HTH,
Maf.