request a backport for Hardy?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed May 7 18:39:25 EDT 2008

On 5/6/08, Ben Gladwell <bgladwell at goantiques.com> wrote:

>  On 06/05/08 10:54 -0400, Ben Gladwell wrote:
>  > I remember someone on the list saying that gnucash in Ubuntu 7.10 had
>  > the ofxdirect options compiled in.  They must have been using a
>  > backported package (I wasn't using backports).  Can anyone confirm that?
>  >
>  > If so, does a request need to be issued for a backport for Gutsy?
>

> Sorry - that didn't make sense.  What I MEANT to write was, "does a
>  request need to be issued for a backport for Hardy?"

Hi -- I saw your bug report come in today:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/227732
...but what you have here is a bit different.

I've been trying to understand what you need, but to start with, I
believe there are no substantial differences between GnuCash versions
in Debian and the versions that get ported and backported to Ubuntu.
So far all the versions have been copied directly from Debian, with no
additional options or libraries compiled in.

I have a backport request pending to get GnuCash 2.2.4 backported into
Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy."
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gutsy-backports/+bug/221208

GnuCash 2.2.4 is the version currently in Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy."

As soon as the Debian package of GnuCash gets updated to 2.2.5, one of
us can request the new version to be backported into "Hardy" and
"Gutsy."

HOWEVER, if what you need is not available in Debian due to licensing
issues, that would also be true in Ubuntu unless you add some extra
work. (Whereas Debian remains "pure," not allowing licensing issues to
pollute their repositories, there are some Ubuntu packages with
commercial licenses. I'm not exactly sure how that would be worked
out, but I think it's not as simple as just compiling it in.)

If this is something you want to pursue, you might put some more
information in your Ubuntu bug #227732 -- maybe including links
describing exactly what is required. I believe this will NOT be a
backport, but a request for a new package.