simple howto for selling stocks

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue May 13 14:17:48 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Callum E Murdoch wrote:
> Hi Charles,
> Sorry for delay in reply i'm in a remote location in Africa and comms
> have been down for days.
> Anyway I guess i'm still missing somthing here i dont see how my
> accounts wont balance since the original entry in gnucash i did manually
> using Equity:Opening balance shares. Whats the difference of entering
> the proceeds of the sale into my Bestinvest broker account and then the
> new funds being purchased out of this account using all the cash.
>  i have done this
> Step 1 under fund A sold all units for 1000 which is entered as a
> transfer to Bestinvest account.
> Step 2 In bestInvest set up new sub account Fund C, which is purchased
> using the 1000 from the sale of Fund A
>
> Using this method is very straight forward am i missing somthing ?
>
> regards
> Callum

Hi Callum

The cap. gain comes when you consider what you originally invested in FundA -
it may, for example have only been 900 and so, when you sell (or if you
like, "transfer to fund C"), you have to account for the extra 100. (and,
with an ISA wrapper, you are fortunate enough that you don't get taxed on
that gain)

I suppose that you could consider the cap gain only when you finally withdraw
cash, and that gives you a fairly simple case of transfer 1000 FundA -> FundC
BUT, IANAA, and don't know about the legal ramifications of doing that.

HTH,
Maf.

> [...]
> > the same as you would do in Quicken. Your broker should provide you
> > with the basis and capital gains figures.
> >
> > Since you've said that the capital gains income is not taxable, I'd
> > recommend creating a specific income account for this, named something
> > like "Income:Tax-Free Capital Gains".
> >
> > -Charles
> >

> >         On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Derek Atkins
> >
> >         <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> >         > Hi,
> >         >
> >         > Quoting corkscrew60 <cem22b at gmail.com>:
> >         >
> >         > I am a new user to gnucash i have swapped over from quicken.
> >
> >         On the whole i
> >
> >         >> like it better except for selling stock. I just cant get my
> >
> >         head round the
> >
> >         >> instructions given in the help file. Does anyone know of a
> >
> >         simple howto
> >
> >         >> giving a step by step on how to do this.
> >         >> I have an investment account set up with a number of funds
> >
> >         within it. I
> >
> >         >> have
> >         >> sold a complete subset and bought another all under the
> >
> >         same investment
> >
> >         >> account. The instructions in the help file mentioning
> >
> >         setting up a capital
> >
> >         >> gains account I dont see why i need this when the money
> >
> >         from the sale
> >
> >         >> satys
> >         >> within the investment account to make the new purchase of
> >
> >         the different
> >
> >         >> funds
> >         >
> >         > Are you buying the same funds/stocks from the other broker?
> >
> >          Or are
> >
> >         > you selling FundA and buying FundB?  In the latter case then
> >
> >         yes,
> >
> >         > this IS a capital gain and you should account for it.  The
> >
> >         basis of
> >
> >         > FundB will be the ending value of FundA, but you still have
> >
> >         a capital
> >
> >         > gain on FundA from when you purchased it to when you sold
> >
> >         it.
> >
> >         > See for example
> >
> >         http://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/guide/capgain_example1.html
> >
> >         > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >         >
> >         >> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> >         >
> >         > -derek
> >         >
> >         > --
> >         >      Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media
> >
> >         Laboratory
> >
> >         >      Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board
> >
> >          (SIPB)
> >
> >         >      URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA
> >
> >         N1NWH
> >
> >         >      warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key
> >
> >         available

> >         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542