How to generate trans. automatically.

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon May 19 15:11:08 EDT 2008

Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:
> Please remember to CC the gnucash-user mailing list on all replies.  You can
> use your mailer's "Reply To List" or "Reply to All" feature.
>
> From: David <dvd.mchl at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: How to generate trans. automatically.
> To: Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org>
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:51:36 +0100
>
> Josh Sled wrote:
>> David Michal <dvd.mchl at googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have accounts:
>>>
>>> --Bank
>>>
>>>   --Savings
>>>
>>>   --Payments
>>>
>>> --Expenses
>>>
>>> --Liabilities
>>>
>>>   --CreditCard
>>>

>>> Every expenses paid by credit card I now need to type in GnuCash twice.
>>>
>>> For instance if I’ll buy petrol for 50, then I need to create transactions:
>>>
>>> CreditCard --> Expenses – 50
>>>
>>> Savings --> Payments – 50
>>>

>>> Is there any possibility in GnuCash to have the second transaction filled
>>> automatically?
>>>

>> Do you really pay off your credit card incrementally, one-to-one with each
>> charge you make on that card?
>>
> No I don't. I have the payments account only to help me to don't go into
> debt.
> So in bank I have a saving account. There are money I can spend. When I use
> the credit card it means I virtually used some money from my savings. So I
> want to reflect it somewhere in the GnuCash.
> By doing this I have a nice overview about how much money I can spend. And I
> can be sure I'll have enough money to pay my credit card statement.
> So on account Savings I have what I can spend.
> And on payments I have money I've already spent.
> And on expenses (of course I have have expenses splitted into more specific
> accounts like car, food etc..) I can see if transaction was made by cash,
> credit or debit  card.

Then you probably want to have the two "transactions" as above as one actual
Transaction with 4 Splits, 2 pairs of 2 that happen to counter-balance.

But, no, there's not really a super-convenient way to quickly create 4
related splits (or two related transactions) automatically.  There are other
situations where similar functionality would be useful, and people have
talked about a stand-alone "template transaction" facility, but that's not
made its way into code.

You should also look into previous mailing list discussion about "virtual
sub-accounts" (i.e., your Savings > Payments account), and how to use them
with reconciling and reporting.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}