Accounting question re tax refund

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Tue May 20 09:58:39 EDT 2008

Michael DeBusk wrote:
> Your tax refund is definitely not income, and if it were, it would be
> LAST YEAR'S income. If you like to close your books at the end of the
> year, this matters.

Hmm, since the original poster was not from the USA, I'm not sure if how
it works here is relevant.  But...

I received a refund from the State of New York in 2007 for the 2006 tax
year.  On my 2007 tax forms, I had to enter that refund.  It has a
special place on the form, but it effectively gets counted as income for
2007.  The reason for this is that it was not counted in 2006 (they
don't tax you on taxes).

roland

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD