dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:03:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Leigh Morresi <dgtlmoon at gmail.com> wrote:

> heya's
>

> Something i've never been able to clear-up for myself even tho i'm
> following the recipe from the documentation, can someone shed some
> light?
>

> Im creating an invoice, with the 'Income account' set to
> "Income:consulting" and "Post"'ing it to my Assets -> A/R
>

> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.html
>

> And then once i receive payment i process the payment as per
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-payment1.html
>
> So now now the payment is "Transfer account: Assets -> Checking" which
> is all cool.
>
> now the part i dont understand
>
> I'm doing a QIF import from my bank, I have a structure as thus;
>

> + Assets
>  - Accounts Receivable
> + Expenses
>  - Computer Repairs
> + Income
>  - Consulting
> + MyBank
>
> When I import a .QIF it asks me for an 'Account Name' so i enter
> 'MyBank' - now i end up with a 'MyBank' entry in my account tree (whhich
> is fine i guess? or should this be elsewhere?)

If the bank account already exists in GnuCash as Assets:Checking, then
that's what you should tell the QIF importer instead of making up a new name
(MyBank).

I tell it to put payments in the QIF import for monies for work i've
> invoced for into "Income:consulting"
>
> Now when i view "Income:consulting" i see have duplicates of just about
> everything, the "Transfer" field says either "Assets->A/R" or "MyBank"
>
> so it looks like my income:consulting is roughly twice that of what i
> should be at.
>
> what am i doing wrong?? should i be deleting the items from my
> "Income:consulting" that have a transfer of "MyBank" ? (so that
> Income:consulting always shows my total income not includin the fact
> that those invoices might not have been paid - altho this difference
> *should* be sighted in accounts receivable?)

What you are manually entering into GnuCash sounds reasonable to me. Now if
you set up the QIF import correctly, all the transfers from Assets:A/R to
Assets:Checking that have already been entered by hand should get noticed
during duplicate detection, allowing you to check them off and avoid
importing duplicates.  However, since you seem to be saying that the
imported transactions are transferring from Income:Consulting rather than
Assets:A/R, take a good look at the account, category, and payee/memo
mapping pages of the QIF importer.  Anywhere you see Income:Consulting, you
should change it to Assets:A/R.

Cheers,
Charles