dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed May 28 12:05:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com>:
>
>  > as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account
>>>

>> Not sure where you got that idea... I don't think it was from me. What I
>> said was that, first, on the "Set the default QIF account name" page you
>> type in Assets:Checking rather than MyBank. Second, on the mapping pages,
>> substitute Assets:A/R wherever you see Income:Consulting (this part is all
>> point/click). If you are finding this all a bit confusing, you might try
>> turning on the QIF importer's documentation pages. From the main GnuCash
>> window, click Edit->Preferences. In the Online Banking section, check
>> "Show
>> documentation".
>>

> Yes, and it's this SECOND part that's the problem.  You're telling
> the QIF Importer that you have an Income Account called "Assets:A/R".
> The importer dutifully does what you told it, making sure there's an
> Income Account Assets:A/R, but because there's an incompatible-type
> account of that name already it creates a new account tree.  Voila,
> you now have Assets2:A/R2 of type Income.

Well no one is telling the importer that it's an income account. It must be
defaulting, and it shouldn't do that if Assets:A/R already exists. An Asset
account type should be considered compatible.

Does he really have an existing GnuCash account named Assets:A/R, or is the
name perhaps slightly different, like Assets:Accounts Receivable? That could
explain the behavior.

-Charles