imported transactions

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:28:47 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Beverly Compere <ufichina at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks again!  You guessed almost right on the "rigging" issue.  My
> issues were with transactions with a net value of zero.  We issue advances
> to employees, who then settle up with us.  I don't remember why, but there
> was something in Quicken that didn't come out right in my reports years ago
> if I didn't run these through a cash account, even if there was  not money
> that changed hands.  So I processed these through a cash account, but often
> the net was a zero value.  Also we use a credit card that gives us Amazon
> certificates.  Since we purchase some books for business, some for our
> children's education, and some for personal use, I wanted to be able to
> track these, yet find the transactions if needed, especially for books for
> business use.  So I began to input these in our credit card account for ease
> in finding them, even though there was often no net charge.  These were the
> types of transactions that were coming in "backwards".  Thankfully, there
> weren't so many that I couldn't just fix them.
>
> This doesn't help, but just by way of explanation, all your zero-sum QIF
transactions will have their debits and credits reversed due to
an accommodation for the way MoneyDance does things. I may put in an
adjustment for Quicken users that will clear this up, but it may be a few
weeks or so because I am suddenly very busy - swamped in fact.

> After your help on figuring out who to find and edit the exchange rate, I
> set out to edit the rate on this year's transactions.  To my dismay, I found
> that the register won't let me edit the exchange rate on the transactions I
> imported from Quicken.  (We live in China, which is a cash-based society at
> present, so we have LOTS of these.)  I can edit the exchange rate in the
> screen and save the changes to the transaction, but the changes won't
> actually "take" or save.  I have tried it on both sides of the transaction
> (i.e. from my Cash-RMB account and from my offset account, such as
> Personal-Food), but to no avail.  Just in case it's useful, I have copied a
> few of the transactions from my .qif file if they are helpful to anyone if
> looking at the problem.  Here they are:

I will take a look at this, certainly, but probably not for a week or so,
I'm afraid. I probably won't even be able to respond further for at least 72
hours.

Cheers,Charles