String lengths in the SQL backend

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Tue Nov 18 04:24:15 EST 2008

Marcus Wolschon wrote:
> You mean like Jasper Reports or Crystal?

Actually, I don't know about either software.  Right now, I am using the
command line interface of MySQL and the Openoffice.org GUI for running
queries against the gnucash data (read-only data access, so far).  Maybe
there are more efficient ways to do this and I'd be interested to hear
about them.  This is what I was talking about.  The SQL data is very
accessible, from a number of external tools.  I have yet to find an XML
tool that allows easy access to the gnucash data.

One potentially VERY huge advantage of the SQL backend that I forgot is
of course simultaneous access by more than one user.