Checks print with black bar in place of Payee name

qajaq wabm at william-maloney.org
Thu Nov 20 14:06:29 EST 2008

I'm new to GNUcash, trying to get to understand it well enough to replace
QuickBooks as I migrate to a Linux OS. I understand that I can't get the
sophisticated check-printing routines that are so convenient in QB, but I
would at least like to be able to print the checks, even if I have to track
the numbers manually.

According to the Help files, I'm supposed to click on a transaction that I
want printed to check, then go to File > Print Check, and the data will be
sent to the printer in (at least approximately) the right layout. The
problem I'm running into is that I'm getting a thick, black line in the
Payee section of the check. The date and both the numeric and spelled-out
versions of the amount print correctly, but not the transaction's
Description line (which the Help file says is supposed to be what fills in
the Payee section of the check).

I'm running GNUcash 2.2.7 on WinXP/SP3. Any ideas why this behavior is
appearing, or what I might do to correct it?