Trial balance...

zed zed at zed.net.nz
Sat Nov 22 18:10:55 EST 2008

zed <zed at zed.net.nz> wrote:

> Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, zed wrote:
> > > I then consulted the Manual which tells me that to customize a report
> > > (which is not what I really want to do as the default would be
> > > suitable) I should click on the Options button on the toolbar.  BUT I
> > > haven't got an Options button!
> >
> > It will be off to the right. Expand Gnucash to take up all the screen or
> > click on the far right of the toolbar, which should drop down some
> > further buttons Otherwise, right click on the report, which will bring
> > up "report options"
>
> Thank you for your very prompt response.
>
> I was looking in the wrong place for the Options button - the Cheque
> Account screen instead of the Report screen - must be old age breaking
> into a gallop!.  However, I still have a problem :-(
>
> For the period from 2007.04.01 - 2008.03.31 it produces a Trial Balance
> showing the correct Income and expenses.  So I do have a report I can send
> to my accountant.
>
> However, if I choose to run a Trial balance for the period 2008.04.01 - to
> Today, what I get is both income and expenses from the previous period
> added to the income and expenses for the present period.
>
> In Report - Options - General I have the Start of Adjusting/Closing shown
> as 2008-04-01 and I have tried putting 2009.03.31 in the Date of Report
> and also choosing Today.  Both give the same result, total Income and
> expenses from the time I commenced using GnuCash.
>
> What am I doing wrong, please?

Forgive me for answering my own post.

As a follow up to the above, on further searching I found an option "Close
book" under Tools.  After backing up all my data, I used this option,
entering the last date of the previous financial year - 31 Mar 2007.  Lo and
behold, when I asked for a Trial Balance I got one for the period 01 Apr
2008 - Today, which is what I wanted.

Now, is this the normal way to do things?

Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Sunday afternoon.

Zed

--
zed