"Tools > Close Book" doesn't seem to do what I want, i.e., to shrink gnucash file by rolling up transactions

Marcus Wolschon marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 02:38:33 EST 2008

Hello,

I have similar issues with the gnucash-file growing over the years.
However there are many transactions spanning the year-boundary
where bank-statements on interests and postfolio-statements, ...
come in way later then the first or january.

So I am thinking of writing a program using jGnucashLib to
take a gnucash-file and create a new file with the same
accounts, the start-balances of the 31.12. 23:59:59 last year
and keeping all transactions that have a date past this
timestamp.

It would also allow to e.g. split the year 2007 into a new file
and only keep 2008-2009 in the current one. (Since there will
not be any changes to the old data.)
You can then put a digital signature and cryptographic timestamp
on it and archive the old year(s).

If anyone interested in this?
It would allow a user to go on with book-keeping and close
the year a few weeks later, when all the paperwork has
arrived.

Marcus