"Tools > Close Book" doesn't seem to do what I want, i.e., to shrink gnucash file by rolling up transactions

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at wolschon.biz
Tue Nov 25 09:34:15 EST 2008

2008/11/26  <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>:
> That is the tool we need.  Take a gnucash file and a date, and
> generate two gnucash files -- one with all the trandactions before
> that date, and one with the rest, inserting a few initial-balance
> transactions so things will work out properly.
>
> Some people will use this soon after the start of a new year, some long
> after, when the original file gets unwieldy.
>
> It's what the perl script that was posted here a few years ago did
> (though I recall it had problems with multiple currencies).  It no
> longer works, I'm told, because of a change in gnucash's file format.
>
> To make the tool remain viable, it should use gnucash's API, and, if
> possible, get embedded into the gnucash code base.

Well, I have absolutely no issues with multiple currencies
(I'm using them all the time) but if you want it to use the gnucash-codebase
you'll have to write it yourself.
I can build such a tool in a few hours in Java  as that's what I'm used to do.
Then you are free to write it again in C or Python or whatever.

I' m changing jobs this weekend so I guess I'll write it late next week.
Definately before Xmas.

Marcus