not backup but using gnucash in two different distros

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Nov 29 08:18:25 EST 2008

Manfred Usselmann wrote:

>Harold <hh6199 at yahoo.com> schrieb am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:55:46 -0800
>(PST):
>

>>In several of the forums for the different distros it was stated that
>>there could be problems with different distros sharing the same home
>>partition. I have different /home directories set up in the same
>>partition.
>>

>Having separate home directories for different installations /
>distributions definitely makes sense, but you don't need to have your
>gnucash data in the home directory or a subdirectory of it.

>You could also create a separate data partition which you mount from all
>your OS installations.

I really think that it would be best for people relatively new to Linux
(or Unix, BSD, etc.) to take questions of this sort to a forum or
listserv willing  to help Linux beginners. Not all of those are of the
RFTFM type. Some are quite friendly, willing to help newbies, etc.

Portions of the file system that can be mounted/unmounted on the fly
would be on separate partitions but if what they contain are data, would
normally be mounted into the file structure at a place which has  /home
in the path in any 'nix type file system. Names (and spellings) in 'nix
OS's not always what you might expect. Instead of "home" they perhaps
might have chosen "userdata" for this part of the file system.

Michael