wondering if gnucash is suitable for this task. Advice?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:39:27 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am volunteering in a small community center to setup a basic
accounting application. I am familiar with Linux but I am not an
accountant so I have a few basic accountancy question regarding gnucash.
Also, I gather that gnucash is also installable on Windows. That might
be useful for the people at the center.

The center receives donations from its patrons throughout the year. A
donor is to be identified by either his name, telephone number or both.
Perhaps a unique 'donor ID' might also be given if it a better option.

The requirement is to maintain this list of donors and at the end of a
year generate a receipt for each donor specifying the amount of money he
donated during the year and his name and contact information. (this
requirement is the result of some new taxation laws)

For example, suppose a donor John Doe donated in this manner:

$20 on 2008 Mar 30
$50 on 2008 Aug 2
$30 on 2008 Dec 20

At the end of the year, the center wants a single page receipt which
lists the total donations from John Doe and his name and contact
information. It is to be mailed to the donor.

And this is to be done for all the donars.

So, can this be done in gnucash? I am willing to tinker with gnucash a
bit to set it up. But it is important that a data entry not be difficult
for an accountant who may not be computer savvy (but is familiar with
some basic computer usage).

Other advice and suggestions in this regard are also welcome.

Warm regards.