wondering if gnucash is suitable for this task. Advice?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Oct 3 07:11:09 EDT 2008

>Hi. I'm a financial agent for a political party riding association. I do just
>this with Gnucash.
>
>What I do is create, under income, an account called contributions. Under
>contributions I create individual accounts for every contributor. When I get
>a contribution, I allocate it to that contributor.
>
>Now, when I do a cash report, I can see at a glance the total amount donated
>by each contributor. If I click on an individual contributor in the cash flow
>report, I can see when they made a particular contribution.

And, if you are a 501c3, you would have TWO sub accounts under
"contributions", one for those donors who are considered "general
public" and one for those who are considered "disqualified" (insiders
like board members/officers and "fat cats" -- because you need to be
able to report what percentage of support comes from "general public").

No facility for automatic generation of acknowledgment letters but hey,
a GOOD system of that sort needs to be able to have all sorts of
parameters if it is to do a good job (you don't want a system that
mindlessly sends a "small donor form letter" to somebody who made a
MAJOR donation -- or shouldn't want that).

Michael D Novack