how to get a concise account report

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Oct 6 11:31:28 EDT 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008 16:11:16 H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed GnuCash on Debian Sid. I went over the tutorial to
> get familiar with the concepts involved and opened an account.
>
> The idea is to have an income account called "Donations". In that
> account, there are as many subaccounts as there are donors.
>
> The donations go to an assets account called "Total Donations". (I am
> not familiar with accountancy so there might be a better way to do this).
>
> I can now generate an account report for each donor. But I do not want
> to list all the transaction details. I just want the donor's name and
> address address and the total amount the donor donated over a particular
> duration of time. Any idea how to go about achieving this? BTW, I also
> couldn't find any way to enter a donor's name and address while creating
> an income account in his name.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

AFAIK, the only way to enter address details would be to use the business
stuff - maybe you could use the "customers" menu etc to record each of your
donor's details, tied to an account called Assets:Donations, of type A/R.
Then the "customer report" would give you in effect a statement for that
donor, which will certainly show their address and total donations. (you may
need to tweak it to hide the individual txns.)

Just a suggestion, which may be more work/complexity than you need.

Maf.