Credit Card

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 7 11:55:35 EDT 2008

Justin Griffith wrote:

>Hi,
>Hello list! I just got a Credit Card and wanted to set it up in gnucash to
>track purchases made with it. I am not sure what accounts to setup to do
>this. I have my checking account setup already in gnucash and got it working
>fine. I am going to be using the Credit Card to pay bills so will have
>charges on it every month. Which accounts do I need to track that with?
>Thanks!
>
>-Justin

Justin, you should create an account for the credit card of type
"liabilities". Each charge you make is a transaction to that account,
likewise any interest charges and/or fees. When at the end of the month
you make a payment from your checking account, that goes against the
credit card account lowering the balance, or hopefully reducing it to zero.

Michael

PS -- If you receive checks daily but only make a trip to the bank to
deposit them every once in a while, you can treat this similarly by
creating an "undeposited funds" account of type "assets". Then when you
do make a bank deposit it's against this account clearing the balance.