Credit Card

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 7 16:41:55 EDT 2008

>I'd suggest that you make the card account in GC of type "Credit Card" rather
>than "Liability" - you get more intuitive column labels and so on.
>
>You may wish to make a parent account of type liability, to hold this and any
>future cards, loans or liabilities all in one place, but that is up to what
>makes you comfortable.

Sorry about that. My way of thinking (old fashioned accounting) there
are only three fundamental types, asset, liability, and equity.

I meant of course that it would be in the "liability" tree. If you had
several credit card accounts, then as a child of "liabilities" you might
have an account called "credit cards" and your individual credit card
accounts would be children of it. New to accounting you can use all the
cues you can get, like columns labeled "charges" and "payments" instead
of just debits and credits. But those of us who learned accounting the
old fashioned way on paper, just specially ruled paper and you had to
remember which sorts of accounts got entered which side of the ledger page.

NOTE --- just makes it easier for the MAJORITY of your entries.
Ordinarily most entries in the "charges" column would be charges (only
once a billing cycle interest and fees). Similarly most of the entires
on the payment side MIGHT be payments. Or maybe not? After all, not
likely to make more than one payment a month and you could have several
"refund" credits for merchandise returns, etc. I don't keep our personal
accounts on GnuCash (don't bother using any "system" for personal
accounting), but if I did, payments would NOT be the majority type of
entry in that column in our case.