merging gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 12 12:20:13 EDT 2008

Hi,

Quoting matteo brutti <matteo.brutti at gmail.com>:

> hi all,
> i did a big mistake!
> i opened and modified a previous file of my gnucash account book,
> replacing the newer one. Now i found this mistake i would to merge the
> old modified and the new unmodified. I know i have logs to handmade,
> but there are so many modification... is there a way to do it
> automatically?

Unfortunately no.  The easiest thing to do, probably, is to take one
file, run Gnucash to QIF on it, and then use the QIF importer.  BUT if
your file is really really large then it's likely you'll spent tons
of time marking duplicates.

Your other option is to run through the various .log files, in order,
to get the changes into your data file.

Or just manually correct it; choose the file with the most changes as
your new master file and then manually create the extra transactions
from the other one.

> And there is some options to change the directory where gnucash puts
> it's log and old gnucash files?

Nope.  It always goes into the directory where your data file lives.
There's no way to change that.

But that shouldn't be an issue -- GnuCash always remembers the last-opened
file so it's pretty hard to make this kind of mistake unless you're
REALLY doing something weird.  If you just open GnuCash normally it
will automatically re-open the file you were last using when you quit.
And there is File -> Open Recent to find other recently opened files.
You should almost never use "gnucash <filename>" to open a file.