Question about multiple currencies

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 23:52:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Can anyone suggest how I can get the trial balance into order without
>> deleting all the transactions?
>>

>> What is the reporting currency used for the trial balance report? (I
>> assume it's GBP.)
>>
>> Yes it is GBP
>>
>>  Once you buy USD and EUR, where do they go? Do they ever get changed
>> back into GBP or another currency?
>>
>> The EUR transactions were a little bit complicated as in the case of Spain
>> the customer withholds 10% which I then have to claim back out of my next
>> payment to the UK tax people. So we end up wrestling with:
>>
>>    1. The GBP/EUR rate when the invoice was raised.
>>    2. The rate when the customer pays 90%
>>    3. The rate when that is converted to GBP by the bank which is
>>    different even if done on the same day as 2.
>>    4. The rate when I do the tax return.
>>
>> Of course these are all different.
>>
>> I think the GBP/USD problems are limited to just one point back in August.
>> I'd kept all USD receipts in a $ bank account whilst the £ was sky-high
>> against the $. When the £ sunk against the dollar I transferred most of the
>> $ account to a £ account (of course I did that too early because the £ sank
>> a lot more - sigh!). I put in the transaction using "transfer" and gave the
>> rate that the bank converted it at which was different (worse of course -
>> and they charge a commission on top) from what Finance::Quote thought.
>>
>> I think that caused the accounts imbalance to arise as the value of all
>> the USD accounts were calculated at the value given by "Finance::Quote" but
>> the GBP bank account was credited by a different amount. A sum should have
>> been debited to a "currency conversions" account to make the accounts
>> balance GBP-wise.
>>
>> A more complicated version of the same thing happened with the EUR
>> accounts.
>>

> The imbalance is not caused by the exchange rate per se, but rather by not
> accounting for realized currency gains/losses. When you transfer from a
> non-GBP account into a GBP account, you are doing a currency sale and the
> realized currency gain needs to be accounted for. It is the same concept as
> when you sell a stock.  It would be nice if those entries could be helped
> along in some automated way, but presently they aren't.
>
> Just to illustrate the concept, try starting a brand new GnuCash file with
> two accounts: one in GBP and one in EUR. Change some GBP into EUR. The trial
> balance still balances. Now IN THE SAME REGISTER change all the EUR back to
> GBP at a different exchange rate without accounting for the gain/loss. The
> trial balance fails and the balance sheet will show the realized gain or
> loss as unrealized. Instead, what you want to see is a good trial balance
> and a balance sheet showing income from the currency gain/loss and no
> unrealized gain/loss.
>
> (Note: I say "in the same register" above because I have just discovered a
> bug in the reports that needs fixing. Unfortunately, that may be part of the

I have committed a fix for the reports in r17627. It may or may not make a
difference in your case. If you want to try it out, you can find the patch
here: http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/17627

You would just need to apply the patch to your installed copy of
commodity-utilities.scm (make a copy first) and restart GnuCash.