gnucash evaluation

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Oct 17 17:13:25 EDT 2008

At Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:21:26 -0600 Travis Hagglund <thagglund at korsa.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a small business which provides services.  I am looking at
> gnucash as a possible accounting software.  I work out of my home and
> would like to include a portion of house expenses such as utilities,
> insurance, etc.  I know you can set these expense accounts up easily,
> but can you apportion only part of the expenses to the business, or
> would you have to enter only the portion you want entered as a business
> expense?

If you in fact have two checking accounts (personal and business) and
send the utilities two checks, you'd do this with a 'split'.  Otherwise
you could handle it like a sub-let: your 'business' pays its portion of
the utilities to the 'landlord (you, personally), who in turn pays the
utility bill.  You'd use some intermediate account (eg business expenses)
to record the transaction.

I'm not an accountant, but the above it what makes sense to me.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration