gnucash evaluation

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Mon Oct 20 04:37:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Marcus Wolschon wrote:
> > Another example would be vehicle expenses.  You do not know the
> > percentage of personal to business use for the vehicle until the end of
> > the year, so how would you enter and account for the appropriate vehicle
> > expenses to apply to the business?
> >
> > Any advice on how others handle this is appreciated.
>
> Hello Travis,
>
> I am doing the same and have 2 trees of expenses-accounts.
> In your case that would be:
>   expenses(business)
>   expenses(business):vehicles
>   expenses(business):vehicles:car0
>   expenses(business):vehicles:car0:fuel
> and
>   expenses(private):vehicles
>
> and then you do splits like:
>   assets:bank:bank0   -100eur
>   expenses(business):vehicles:car0:fuel +80eur
>   expenses(private):vehicles + 20eur
>
> Or (like I do) do multiple simple transaction:
>   assets:bank:bank0   -100eur
>   expenses(business):vehicles:car0:fuel +100eur
> and at the end of the month one transaction
>   expenses(business):vehicles:car0:fuel +-20eur
>   expenses(private):vehicles + 20eur
> (this may be easier if you define the percentage of non-business-use of
> your car at the end of the month.)

In Au the vehicle expense proportion is defined for up to a five year period.
Every three months (when I do GST return) I charge 5% of the motor vehicle
expenses total (since the last return) against "myself".
Because I can do all the calculations in the amount column I enter (x+y+z)/20
and gnucash converts this to a dollar amount.

--
T-shirt of the Day:
	Head for the Mountains

Followup T-shirt of the Day (on the same scenic background):
	If you liked the mountains, head for the Busch!
		-- courtesy someone else