Expense accounts should not be single currency

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 20 12:32:48 EDT 2008

jgombos <nabble.forum.jog at spamgourmet.com> writes:

>> Use Subaccounts.
>
>> Expenses:Elelectronic:USD
>> Expenses:Electronics:EUR
>
> Or I also have the option of:
>
> Expenses:USD:Electronics
> Expenses:EUR:Electronics
>
> Which is better?  Someone told me that getting a report on a branch that
> contains multiple currencies could be a problem.  Eg, suppose I query for
> the total of Expenses:Electronics in your example.  How would gnucash handle
> that?

It would compute the exchange rate to your report currency and
give you the total.

> Anyway, at this point I just want to know the best way to cope with the
> problem.  Should I branch the different currencies at the bottom of the
> tree, or the top?

Me, I always convert all my expenses (regardless of actual currency)
to my home currency.  I keep track of my various multiple currency
holding (those extra 42€ I have in my pocket) as a USD account that
holds the value of that currency.

Honestly, I just don't care how many EUR I spent on Food..  I care
about how much USD I spent.  The fact that I *used* EUR to pay for
the food doesn't matter to me either.  Maybe I'm relatively unique
in my needs/desires?