Expense accounts should not be single currency

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Oct 20 21:20:23 EDT 2008

See below

>>I don't agree.
>>I'd have to look up the exchange rate for everything I buy off shore on my
>>credit card every single time. Just that the bank uses a different rate
>>again
>>which is more favourable to it than to me.
>>
>>A few accounts in different currencies makes a lot more sense.
>>I am then imagining how much more the accountant or auditor would charge to
>>deal with books kept in a manner which don't meet with their standards.
>>

>I think the correct answer for my own personal finances is "it depends". For
>currencies used infrequently, I do exactly as Derek suggested and just enter
>the expense in a convenient currency with perhaps a note of how much of the
>actual currency was involved. For currencies used hundreds of times a year,
>I would rather build out separate expense accounts per currency.

We are perhaps using the word "account" in two different senses? A
GnuCash (or other accounting system) account, the bookkeeping sense of
teh word, and "account" as in  "bank account". In other words, the
normal deciding consideration would be whether you actually had
"current accounts" (bank accounts)  in more than one currency.

If you don't, then it ordinarily makes little sense to have separate
accounts (accounting package sense).  If your bank account  is in
currency A and you make a purchase with funds from this account via
currency B (what you bought came from a country using B) then the cost
of this item was whatever it cost in currency A -- exchange fees, etc.
being part of the cost which you might or might not want to split off
into a separate expense line. There are no realized or unrealized gains
from trading currency.

If you do hold funds in multiple currencies, then you are likley to want
to have separate accounts, possibly even separate books (depends upon
the rules of teh two jurisdictions, especially your "home" jurisdiction.

Michael