Disable automatic transaction categorizaiton

schaefferdavid david.schaeffer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:28:09 EDT 2008

I thought that might be the case.  Quicken and Microsoft Money do the same
thing.  However they provide an option not to automatically categorize for
you.  Really I think this option is essential.  To me if an account has been
assigned to balance a transaction, there is an implied assumption it has
been assigned correctly.  However none of the financial programs I have seen
have been able to choose for me with high accuracy.  Since they can not
assign them correctly, I have to go back through them all anyways.  When
they have already been assigned to categories it can sometimes be hard to
find all of them that need to be changed.

I have found a partial workaround for the moment for me, but it is not
really a solution.  I hope this is not a bug and does not go away in a
future version.  When the generic importer dialog comes up I click cancel
instead of accepting it.  Then I go to the account.  All the transactions
show up there not assigned to any accounts.  As long as I assign them all an
account before closing it works ok.  If not, they disappear when the file is
saved.

I'm not sure if I will get around to it, but if I do create a patch that
adds an option to not automatically categorize, would it ever be included
into the main program?