Relating accts receivable and expenses account

carpetnailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Sat Oct 25 16:11:57 EDT 2008

Consider this transaction for mileage reimbursement from a client (or
any other kind of item that goes into an expenses account but will be
reimbursed, such as meals or supplies):

Credit Gasoline expense: $100
   Debit Acct receivable from client $100.

Now I get the check

Credit Acct receivable  $100
   Debit Cash  $100

But how do I show in the gasoline expense account that that expense has
been reimbursed? The following suggests itself:

Credit Gasoline expense: $100
   Debit Acct receivable from client $100.

Credit acct receivable $100
   Debit Gasoline expense $100
Credit gasoline expense   $100
   Debit cash     $100.

This seems round-about, and I'm not sure it's without accounting issues,
so I'm wondering if there's a more direct way to do this, while still
keeping these misc amounts that I have coming in one place rather than
scattered about in various places. (Things like mileage reimbursement,
which I want to use to reduce my total gasoline expenditures, for lack
of a better place to put them.)

Thanks.

EB