Relating accts receivable and expenses account

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Oct 27 08:14:50 EDT 2008

>The gasoline is an expense only if the client fails to reimburse the
>money. It is actually a bad debt expense at that point.
>
>Eric...

I think that most of the difficulty is the attempt to keep everything on
one set of books.

In other words, here we have an "expense account" situation (no matter
who is doing the reimbursing). These transactions need to be accounted
for BUT (a very big but) as long as situations as described above never
occur they are not YOUR transactions --- don't ever go onto YOUR books.

In other words, I would suggest that a separate "book" be set up for
this. When you make a payment out of your pocket (or your credit card or
your check) on your books that is a liability owed to you (a
receivable). In the "expenses account" books that's a liability and an
expense. When you receive reimbursement you clear off this
liability/receivable.

No, I am NOT actually suggesting a great deal of extra work because you
do this the same way a "petty cash" account is managed. You don't have
to enter the individual amounts that you have paid one at a time, just
the totals for each reimbursement interval or once a month or whatever.
So you would be entering into YOUR books not every time you stopped for
gas on company business but the total for the month. BTW -- normally you
would not have these transactions mixed in with your other credit
card/check transactions. If you do this a lot, you want separate
dedicated accounts.

Michael