Reconcilliation problems [SOLVED]

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 22:50:11 EDT 2008

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Steve--
>
> Given your solution, Derek's recommendation would have worked just
> fine. If you had ignored the starting balance, you would have
> immediately seen that unreconciled transaction sticking out at the
> top, known immediately that it needed to be re-reconciled, done so,
> and been done. That would have been a whole lot easier than the
> process you undertook.
>
> See:
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_corrected_a_mistake_and_now_my_reconciliation_balance_is_off.__How_do_I_fix_that_and_reconcile_my_account.3F
>
> David

David,

Unfortunately it wasn't quite that easy.
My accounts contain about 15yrs of data that I imported from Quicken.
This particular account has a number of sub-accounts that were Savings
Goals in Quicken and so were never reconciled. As a result, I have
hundreds, perhaps thousands of transactions that show up in the
reconcile window.

Hmmm... now that I'm writing this down... -  I suppose I could have
turned off the "Include sub-accounts" check box in the reconcile window
and found the missing transaction much easier. Ah well, you live and
learn (hopefully).

Steve