how to view total for expenses subaccount

Nathan Watson-Haigh nathan at watsonhaigh.net
Tue Oct 28 23:05:26 EDT 2008

I think there is some confusion with the way you are using the expense
accounts and this is complicating/confusing what you are trying to achieve.

You should have a credit card account (e.g. Liabilities:Credit Cards:Credit
Card 1) and a series of expense accounts (e.g. Expenses:Groceries and
Expenses:Auto:Gas). Expense accounts shouldn't be used directly to record
how much you are spending in each of the categories, instead, you should use
the actual account you used for that expense (e.g. your credit card) by
making a payment from your credit card to the expense account. Thus when you
look at your credit card transactions, you'll see X amount spent on
Groceries and Y amount spent on Auto:Gas. When you make a Credit Card
Payment by creating a transaction for money moving from your bank account to
your credit card, the payment isn't assigned to pay off a particular expense
account (e.g. Auto:Gas) in preference of another, it is simply reducing your
liability - tracking your expenses, is done separately to the payment.

For a step-by-step example, I have the following accounts:

Assets:Checking Accounts:Bank Account 1
Liabilities:Credit Cards:Credit Card 1
Expenses:Auto:Gas

Initially, all the balances are zero. I purchase $50 of gas using Credit
Card 1 so I go to Credit Card 1 and enter a transaction by transferring $50
to the Expenses:Auto:Gas. T this point the balance of Credit Card 1 is $50
and the Expenses:Auto:Gas shows I've spent $50 on Gas. When it comes to
paying the bill for Credit Card 1, I enter a transaction in Assets:Checking
Accounts:Bank Account 1 to transfer $50 to Credit Card 1. That's it. My
Credit Card 1 bill is paid and the account balance is now zero, the expense
account shows I've spent $50 on Gas, and my Bank Account is $50 overdrawn.

I hope this helps,
Nathan