imported transactions

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 11:21:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Beverly Compere <ufichina at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for your help several weeks ago.  I've run into another snag.
> After importing a number of years of Quicken info into GnuCash, there were
> some problems (not surprising, as I am working with multiple currencies).
> Some of my transactions came in "backwards" (credits when they should be
> debits and debits where there should be credits).   I also have some
> multi-currency transactions that didn't work right.  I would like to edit
> both of these types of transactions to correct them.  However for some
> reason, the program won't let me edit these transaction that were brought in
> from Quicken.  If I make a new transaction, editing is easy, but not for
> these old ones.  For example, if I go into one of these imported
> transactions and try to move the credit amount to the debit column (deleting
> the amount from the credit column) and correcting the rest of the
> transaction in this way, when hitting the "enter" key, it all reverts to the
> original amounts, not keeping the edits.  These imported transactions will
> also not let me change the exchange rate (that option won't even show up
> when right-clicking on the transaction).  Do you have any suggestions, or
> could you point me someplace for help.  I have searched on the web and
> through all the GnuCash documentation I could find.

Can you give an example of a transaction with backwards credits/debits? And
what do the QIF lines look like for that transaction?

For the exchange rates, have you already corrected the currency settings on
all the accounts? The QIF importer would have assumed that all imported
accounts and transactions used the same currency, exchange rates on all
imported splits were set to 1. Now that you want to correct them, remember
that all amounts you see in a particular account register are in terms of
the currency of that account. So.you can't edit the exchange rate of a split
line for that same account since it is 1:1 by definition. You would have to
be change the rate on one of the other split lines.

Thank you!

> Beverly C

Cheers,
Charles

P.S. Remember to CC the list on your reply.