Transfers not showing in Income Statement

Nicholas Hasser nick at underthebrim.com
Wed Sep 3 19:01:22 EDT 2008

I'm running gnucash 2.2.6 on OS X.

This is more of a general accounting question than a gnucash question, I
believe.

I have my mortgage set up as a liability. I have a scheduled transaction
set up to transfer my monthly payment from assets:checking_account to
liabilities:mortgage.

I understand that it they aren't income and expense accounts, but how do
  I reflect this actual payment being made in my Income Statement
report? Do I need to set up an expense for my mortgage payment? If so,
how do I tie that back into the liability which is the loan?

Thanks,
Nick