Account Types

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:10:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <
stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

>> Generally the top level of your chart of accounts (account tree) contains
>> only those four account types.
>>
> Three, not four ........assets, liabilities, and equity.

Ah yes, I forgot equity. So really, I use five at the top level. Even though
income and expense are considered temporary, I find it easier to keep them
at the top, rather than under equity, as it makes account selection that
much faster. Besides, for personal finance I never close the books. So for
me they are permanent in practice. I almost never enter new transactions
involving equity accounts.

> Income and expense are both temporary accounts of fundamental type equity.
> Their purpose is to provide information for the current period and show the
> totals of these most important sources of CHANGES to equity.
>
> In other words, DURING the accounting period likely to be leaving equity
> entirely alone with the transactions (in reality altering equity) being
> recorded as either income or and expense. At the end of the period, these
> are closed into equity as the net gain or loss for the period and the next
> accounting period begins with all income/expense accounts zeroed out ---
> which is why I described them a "temporary".
>
> Michael

-Charles