GnuCash on Windows XP

Richard Ling richard at research.canon.com.au
Mon Sep 29 17:46:50 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am trying to work out if Gnucash is right for me.
I am treasurer of a small club and just need to track cash, a couple of
bank accounts and some assets.  We have no employees or customers.

I downloaded GnuCash 2.2.6 for Windows and imported some QIF files, but I'm
having a few problems, just wanted to ask if anyone knows these problems
and whether they are caused by my machine being misconfigured in some way,
and if there are some simple workarounds.  Then I can really evaluate
GnuCash properly.  I'm using a 2.4 GHz dual core P4, 512 MB RAM, WinXP.

The specific problems are:
- Gnucash takes around 20-30 seconds to start up - can some modules I don't
need be disabled?
- Scrolling a short list of transactions is jerky with lots of tearing of
the display
- The display is often not refreshed properly during/after scrolling
leaving large blank areas in the transaction list
- How to export all data in a textual form (eg. XML)?

Eventually the club wants to use an old laptop (300 MHz Celeron A) for the
accounts, so it can travel with the treasurer and can be taken to meetings.
  So, performance on old hardware would be an advantage.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers
richard