Paycheck Imbalance

Peter peter922 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 4 14:42:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

I just started using gnucash a couple weeks ago, so today was the first
time I tried entering a paycheck.  I followed the help tutorial on
entering it as a split transaction, and everything looks like it
balanced out (the amount in my checking account matches what gnucash
says it should be.)  When I went back to the list of accounts, though, I
now have an imbalance account with a negative amount for the amount of
the paycheck, and the same negative amount in the salary income account.
Is this the way it is supposed to work?  I thought the Income:Salary
account was a special account with an infinite supply of money that was
only there so you have a source for double entry.  Why should I care how
much less money my employer has?

Peter