Reconciling minor payment anomalies

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Sun Apr 5 21:10:08 EDT 2009

Des Dougan wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> On 1 Mar 2009, at 13:41, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 12:57:30PM -0800, Des Dougan wrote:
>>> Occasionally a client will misread an invoice and the payment will be
>>> a cent or two out. What is the best way of zeroing these out? Is it to
>>> unpost the invoice and adjust and repost?
>>
>> typically, I'd just record the payment normally and then go in to that
>> txn and manually split the discrepancy into a slush account. But being
>> a cash business, I already have allowance for this: INcome and expense
>> accounts for till overage/shortage and so forth.
>
> Apologies for the delay in responding - I only got to look at this
> today. I went into the Income account (Consulting Services in this
> case) and tried to adjust per your suggestion; however, as the txn
> came from a posted invoice, it won't let me adjust it. Am I missing
> the point? Or in the wrong place?

Right place; you need a different action, specifically a new transaction
to make the correction.  Make sure you put the invoice number in the Ref
cell.  You can change the original invoice only by un-posting it, and
then correcting and reposting.  I've had to do both - for what you're
dealing with the former is better, IMHO.

Cheers

Cam