Managing U.S. Flexible Spending Accounts

Jason jason at cougarcorp.net
Tue Apr 7 20:14:59 EDT 2009

David T. wrote:
> I think this is right; now I just have to figure out the payment/reimbursement part...

Did you get this figured out?

I've been trying to figure this out just now today myself (my FSA just
became active).

So far, this is what I did. It made sense so far in my head, but doesn't
seem to indicate what other people are suggesting to date that I saw:

Asset:Current Assets:FSA
Expense:Medical:Doctor
Expense:Medical:Dentist
Expense:Medical:Supplies (anything else the FSA might be used for, etc..)
Liability:Loans:FSA

On the FSA start date, I make a transfer from Liability:Loans:FSA to
Asset:Current Assets:FSA (say $1200 to make it easy)

Liability:Loans:FSA - Increase $1200
Asset:Current Assets:FSA - Receive $1200

Each pay day (monthly) I'll be making a $100 payment from Income:Salary
to Liability:Loans:FSA. In this way, by end of the benefits year, the
Liability:Loans:FSA account will again be 0.

Liability:Loans:FSA - Decrease $100
Income:Salary - Tot Charge $100

Every time the FSA gets used, it will be a transfer from Asset:Current
Assets:FSA to the appropriate Expense:Medical category.

Asset:Current Assets:FSA - Spent $50
Expense:Medical:Doctor - Expense $50

Any money left at end of the benefits year in Asset:Current Assets:FSA
gets transfered to Expense:Medical:Unspent FSA or similar. (though we
planned out this FSA amount rather meticulously, so I'm not expecting
any left over).

Have I missed something that should be obvious?

Thanks

Jason