Help selling mutual fund

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:25:03 EDT 2009

Unfortunately where investments are concerned, the register only works in
the currency that the investment is priced in. In other words, if you can't
sell something priced in GBP and deposit the proceeds into a EUR account. It
will use a GBP/EUR exchange rate of zero, which is obviously wrong, and it
won't let you specify a different rate. It's a bug, or at least a limitation
of the current design.
What I would do is record the sale in GBP, put the GBP proceeds into some
GBP account (for example, Assets:Broker:GBP Cash), then transfer from the
GBP account to the EUR account using the correct GBP/EUR exchange rate.

It's stupid and ugly, but that's the situation as I understand it.

And just in case... What is the name of the account that is the parent of
the mutual fund, and what is that account's currency?

-Charles