Categorization of transactions

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:43:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM, cl <c-a-l at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm open to different ways to skin the cat, but I can't lose and/or reenter 16
> years of class and subclass data for all my rental properties.  I'm hoping
> someone can point me in the proper direction so I can make GnuCash work for my
> needs.

If nobody finds a 'better' way to do it, you COULD prepare for the
conversion from Quicken by creating new Quicken Categories (which will
correspond to Gnucash Accounts) and using the class information in
Quicken to copy the transactions into the new categories in Quicken
BEFORE you export the data. You could do that on a copy of the data
and maybe you can find a semi-automated procedure (search/replace and
examining the class reports). It might not be as daunting a task as it
seems if you can break it down and do the conversion over time.

Alternatively if you examine the exported QIF data from Quicken
carefully, you may be able to devise a programmatic way to manipulate
the data using perl or some other tool so that the classes and
subclasses map to accounts and subaccounts in GnuCash.

If you have begun to despise Quicken as much as I did, you will be
more motivated every time it flashes an advertisement and/or
unsettling error message at you.