How to handle closed accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 16:03:10 EDT 2009

IIRC, the accounts selection box in the report options includes hidden accounts, so your reports can include them as well. They don't mysteriously disappear.

One point about the hidden accounts that is quirky is that they still show up in the account drop down list in transactions, even if they are hidden. However, they WON'T show up if you also set the account to be a placeholder account. I actually recommend doing this on closed accounts anyway; setting an account as a placeholder write protects it, so that you don't accidentally post to that account. All the transactions remain; you just can't change anything without first unsetting the Placeholder box.

David