Equity balance incorrect - multi-currency

Dominic Ashton dominic.ashton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 08:43:41 EDT 2009

2009/4/13 Dominic Ashton <dominic.ashton at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to GNU cash, and have attempted to set up a simple table of
>> accounts. I am dealing with two currencies: JPY and GBP.
>>
>> I have entered two accounts for my two different currencies, and added
>> the appropriate exchange rate so that the "Current Assets" account is
>> showing up with the correct total. However, despite the fact that my
>> liabilities and expenses are at zero, my equity is not showing the
>> full value of the current assets. It is showing the JPY (my default
>> currency) but not the value of the GBP.
>>
>> I imagine this is a very trivial and simple issue, but I have spent an
>> hour hitting google and cannot for the life of me find what I'm doing
>> wrong.
>>
>> I would most appreciate it if somebody can point me to the appropriate
>> documentation to resolve this issue.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Dominic
>>

> Sorry, I've worked out that I need to enter the account with GBP, and
> set the exchange rate before the value will show up in my "Opening
> balances" under equity. My question is, why on earth do I need to do
> this when I already set the exchange rate to automatically update
> under "tools, price editor" in the main menu?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dominic

Sorry, I solved this.

After reading http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/currency_howto1.html

I noticed there were sub accounts created under
equity::opening_balances i.e. equity::opening_balances::USD so the
answer was to created sub accounts for each currency and then modify
the transactions for opening balance in each bank account to transfer
to the relevant sub currency sub account.

Thanks,

Dominic