Accounts Receivable & Transaction Report

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 13 11:02:41 EDT 2009

Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I just started with GNUCash so I've been playing around a bit. I
> entered a Customer, a Job, and an Invoice. The invoice ends up in
> Assets:Accounts Receivable (of type A/Receivable) and its Income
> Account is set to Income:Consulting. I believe I followed the tutorial
> correctly and, as far as I can tell, it all works great. Even the tax
> is done nicely.
>
> However, the Transaction Report doesn't make sense to me. It lists a
> Grand Total that is twice as big as it should be (or rather twice as
> big as I expected). Basically, it seems to add the Assets:Accounts
> Receivable and the Income:Consulting together. Should I not use the
> Transaction Report in this case (i.e. it was not designed to handle
> this scenario) or did I set things up incorrectly after all? Actually,
> now that I think about it, it doesn't even make sense to list the
> invoice's value in both Assets and Income. After all, it's not income
> yet, is it?
>
> I get the impression that I'm misunderstanding some of these
> bookkeeping terms. :-)

I think you're just misunderstanding the Transaction Report.

I'm not sure what information you're trying to gleam out of GnuCash
but I'd recommend you start with Balance Sheet and P&L (Income
Statement) reports.