DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACCTS PAGE & REGISTER

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Thu Apr 16 08:02:00 EDT 2009

> However, the behavior you are looking for is available in some of
> the reports. Specifically, I believe the Income Statement does
> this. I'm not sure of the others.

I can confirm this.  All the reports that I have tried so far, where they
list account balancess, permit you to adjust sub-totalling and how
balances are shown.  It is possible to set things up to show the balance
of the parent account *and* the balances of the individual child accounts
*and* the total balance (ie sum of parent and children).  There's quite a
lot of flexibility there.

You will have to tweak the report options to achieve this - specifically,
under the "accounts" tab you may need to alter the account nesting depth
(I set to "all" for my reports), and under the "Display" tab you will
need to look at items relating to parent account balances and subtotals.
The exact parameters differ from report to report, but it's pretty easy
to work out what is going on.

Actually, I think what is needed *can* be shown on the the accounts page -
you can set things up to show both the balance of the parent account *and*
the total of the parent plus its children - click on the down-arrow
symbol at the right hand end of the columnar title bar, and you will be
presented with a huge list of items you can choose to show in each
account line.

In terms of the behaviour of the accounts pages, it is correct that if
you open a parent account the running balance shown should reflect only
transactions in that account.  However, if you open the subaccounts I
believe that you should be presented with a running balance reflecting
all transactions in that accounts family (you actually don't get a
running balance at all!).  I filed some relevant bug reports (571607,
571612, 571614) a couple of months ago, but so far they haven't been
accepted.  (Is there some way to kick them into life?  :-)

Colin