Usage question: equity balance not reflecting change in asset balance

Simon West s.d.c.west at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 18 11:47:37 EDT 2009

Hi Dominic,

The Equity is actually not supposed to change when you record
expenses coming out of your checking account. In fact if you're using
Gnucash for personal accounts it is unlikely that you'll use an
Equity account again after using it for opening balances. When you
start out, you need to put money into your checking account, but
because we're using double-entry accounting that money must come from
a different account, since all transactions must take place in two
accounts. By convention, an Equity:Opening Balance account is usually
used for this, but don't get hung up on the name, you could just call
it Initial Balances if you wanted. From then on, you shouldn't need
to look at the Opening Balance account again, unless you want to
remind yourself how much money you had when you started using Gnucash.

Simon