GnuCash on windows vs Ubuntu

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 15:19:46 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Laura Lincoln <cblist1 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a client using GnuCash on Ubuntu. I have setup a separate computer
>> with Ubuntu on it just to support this client. We do pass the file back and
>> forth....
>>
>> I won't have access to my Ubuntu laptop this summer so I am trying to
>> determine what my options are....
>>
>> Does anyone know if I can use the windows version of GnuCash and pass the
>> file back to her without running into any file corruption or
>> incompatibilies? I see that the windows version is 2.2.9 and I know the
>> Ubuntu version that we are using is older.
>>
>> Or would I be better off installing Ubuntu under Wubi on my XP laptop
>> instead? I don't want to do a real dual boot on the XP laptop but I would
>> consider installing Wubi as an option since I can uninstall it when I get
>> the Ubuntu laptop back in the fall.
>
> You should be able to pass the data file back and forth.

I can attest to this in the Linux -> Windows direction.  I normally
run gnucash on Linux, but at tax time I have to run The World's Most
Annoying Operating System. So I boot XP on one of my machines
(dual-boot setup with the Windows partition just big enough for it to
run; all my Windows datafiles live in my Linux home directory on
another machine, courtesy Samba) and have installed gnucash there so I
can have my financial data in front of me while doing my taxes. This
works very well. I have not made changes on the Windows side, however,
so I can't say from personal experience that going the other way works
(I normally copy the my gnucash file from the Linux file system
temporarily to a temporary place in the Windows filesystem, so I don't
accidentally write to the Linux filesystem from Windows). But Derek's
usually right about matters Gnucash, and I'm also pretty sure there
have been messages from people who have moved gnucash files from
Windows to Linux without trouble.

/Don