Subaccount Totals

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:33:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM, subscribe307 at verizon.net <
subscribe307 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have transferred from Quicken and am impressed by all the features of
> GnuCash. My problem is that I can't figure out my total assets or the total
> of subaccounts. I can't believe with all the available features it is not
> possible to get subaccount totals for the date set in preferences. All my
> accounts are in USD and I have some future transactions which affect the
> Total(USD). For example I get one number for the parent asset account under
> Total(USD), a different number for total assets at the bottom of the chart
> of accounts page, and a third number for total assets in the Balance Sheet
> report. Since I don't have any totals for the subaccounts it is very hard to
> figure out what is causing the differences. If anyone can explain this and
> offer a way to get subaccount and account totals for a specific date I would
> appreciate it.

I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head, but the account list probably
includes future transactions. The balance sheet report probably doesn't
(click Options in the toolbar to check the date). Finally, your "asset"
account in the account list will either show the balance of transactions in
that account only, or in all the subaccounts, depending on your settings.

> Mike

-Charles