QIF Record and field layouts

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 22:45:06 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Tom Bullock <tbullock at nd.edu> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Since you wrote your thoughts below, I have been reading the references you
> and others gave me.  Coming back at you with thoughts interspersed into your
> message below.
>
> Rick Rogers wrote:
>
>> Tom: These are Excel and Calc macros that you add on. They appear to be
>> written by the same person. I can only relate my satisfaction with the
>> OO Calc one. I have used it several times (including a few minutes ago)
>> with no problems using Vista.
>>
>> The data I converted with the macro was almost two years of checking
>> account history downloaded from my bank that  I brought into Calc. I
>> used Calc to assign each transaction to various category and
>> sub-categories for the lowest levels of my chart of accounts. The author
>> has a short but adequate help file showing a sample column layout.
>>
> It sounds like you are describing a lot of hand tweaking transaction by
> transaction once the bank data was placed in the Calc spreadsheet.  Is that
> correct?  I expect that the data you received from your bank was close in
> field formatting and sequencing one to the other so that you were fairly
> close to the QIF arrangement.  Correct?

>> have not attempted to import splits, however it appears able to do this.
>>
>> I tested it first with a small segment of the data I wanted to import. I
>> set GnuCash to not automatically save the file periodically, (I always
>> do this before importing) so I can just close it if I have created
>> problems and restart to where I was before the import. You can convert
>> and import as many segments as you want. It doesn't have to be all at
>> once.
>>

> Importing in batches seems reasonable.  Would a batch consist of all of one
> type of transaction from the input side?  Or is a batch governed by what QIF
> needs for its information?

I would not advise using multiple QIF files unless you import them all
together, in one run. Otherwise it will cause you no end of headaches from
duplicate transactions or mismatched transfers. The only exception to this
would be if your files are organized into different date ranges, and in that
case, you should still make sure to import all files with overlapping dates
in the same run.

-Charles