problems retrieving Australian Stock quote prices

Tom Cameron tom at mooball.com
Mon Apr 27 00:20:08 EDT 2009

I have spent a few hours pulling my hair out on this one. Im trying to track
some stocks on the Australian Stock Exchange such as CBA (
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CBA.AX&x=21&y=12 ). But I dont seem to be
able to work it out.

Firstly I cant work out what the "Type" of the security should be. Ive tired
ASX, AX, AU and various others and Im not sure if it makes any difference or
not. Then Ive tried the code itself as cba, CBA, cba.ax, CBA.ax, CBA.AU,
CBA.ASX and almost every combination I can imagine. And finally for the
source of the quote Ive tried Yahoo, Yahoo Australia, ASX, Austraila, and
various others.

And every time I keep getting "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items
XXXX".

Im on Ubuntu and I just installed GnuCash using apt-get install so Im
assuming all dependancies are there. gnucash 2.2.6 r17427 2008-10-02

Ive tried the command line gnc-fq-dump with general success, particularly
"gnc-fq-dump -v yahoo_australia CBA" or "gnc-fq-dump -v yahoo CBA.AX" so Im
assuming that means something is right about my system.

I have to confess Im very new to GnuCash so its highly likely Ive just done
someting totally stupid in the setup.

Tom